Tuesday, October 03, 2006

October 3, 2006

I was absent yesterday. I am sure your children told you about the sub. Apparently the students were told that the essay was due the next day. I simply wanted the students to use the whole period as writing time. Oh, well. At least they are ahead of the game now because the essay is due Wednesday... but only a good rough draft.

Today we discussed the topic again since the students were not quite sure what I was asking for. So I gave them a little example using the piece I am writing. I study life a lot and think deeply. It drives my wife crazy! But I have been thinking about death and the afterlife lately. So as I was walking into school today, the song "Live Like You Were Dying" was going through my head. Then it hit me. That is what I have been thinking about. Don't our beliefs about the afterlife determine how we live our lives today? Shouldn't they?

In the song, the man who is dying states, "… someday I hope you get the chance
to live like you were dying." Now that he sees his days winding down, he wishes the person listening would live his life as if he were dying. So is it right for me to wish that people think about their death more often? Won’t those thoughts guide how you live today?

I did not get religious in class, but I will be discussing Christianity, Judaism, and Buddhism in the paper (as well as I can). I will not post the paper, nor will I share it with the students. It will not be appropriate in a public school setting. But it is what I have needed to say, what has been weighing on my heart. (If you want to read it, send me an e-mail. Hey, if you actually read all this... thanks!)