Friday, October 06, 2006

October 6, 2006

We were in the writing lab today. I was teaching the students how to use the tools provided by GoMyAccess to increase the scores on their essays. The program favors long, detailed essays with excellent vocabulary. There is a feature of the program that counts the number of words and syllables. That provides a grade level readability. Ideally, they should write on or above their own grade level. My writing should also be on grade level. The funny part is my essay had 1500 words but only had a readability of grade 6.4! I have a masters degree! How embarrassing.

I told them that my plan was to reduce my essay by 500 words and improve my vocabulary. I should say what I need to say in fewer words. Honestly, after a few days have passed, I see how I need to revise what I said. I can be more objective in the revision than I was when I was passionately writing.

I will be taking the GoMyAccess score as a 25 point grade. If students score a 6, they can get an A. A five will earn a B and so on. The program is good for sorting out better writers, but it is not perfect. I will score the essays myself afterwards.