Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 14, 2008

Homework
1,2:
I want two pages of the play written.  It is an arbitrary number, but it is something.

3,6,7:
Finish completing the sentence, vocab in context, and antonyms unit 3


Today
1,2:
We acted out the beginnings of some of the plays.  I wanted them to see what they sound like when people are speaking the lines.  Since most of us have not written plays, I think is is difficult to picture how to move a story along with just dialogue.  We have a ways to go, but I am working hard to help them be successful.

I was speaking to one class today trying to explain their grades.  It is going to be challenging, but I am going to have to grade their plays.  The plays are due October 24, and the marking period is over October 29.  I think I will have time. I have never graded a play before; however, I have a rubric provided by the Delaware Theatre Company.  I need to give a grade that reflects the quality of the students' work.  You might have noticed that there have not been a lot of "classwork" grades lately.  And if there are grades, I have been pretty easy with giving full credit.  I have to say that their "classwork" part of their grade is NOT indicative of anything more than the ability to get something in on-time.  Therefore, I will be encouraging the students to do the best they can with the plays.  By next week I will have a better idea of how I will score them, and I will let them know on Monday or Tuesday so they can meet the standard by Friday.

3,6,7:
Daily Drill
Finished any recordings
Read scored essays and discussed the rubric so they know what my scores mean.
3 and 6 have received their essays back.
We are starting the next essay soon.  More information will follow.
The grades are updated.  I will hand them out tomorrow.