Monday, January 27, 2014

Student written poem is due Thursday

Homework this week: 
Monday: Pictionaries Unit 8
Tuesday: Choosing the Right Word and Synonyms and Antonyms Unit 8
Wednesday: Completing the Sentence
Thursday: Student written poem is due and will be read aloud and recorded
Friday: Quiz Unit 8 

The poem analysis essay date will be sometime next week.  I want to be sure the students fully understand how to do it.  This type of poetry analysis is pretty hard, so I am doing all I can to guide them.


Personal Poem Due Thursday

Write your own poem (100 points summative)
____ Must be long enough to meet reading time requirement 
              (at least 30 seconds, but I would like over 1 minute.)
____ Typed or written on paper
____ Illustrated nicely
____ Poem will be read and recorded in front of the class starting Thursday


Poetic devices checklist on your poem (50 points summative)
Go through each one examining your own poem.
Explain briefly whether you included the device and why you did or did not use it.
   -Do not say that you just don't know how.  
(Seriously, I just want to see your reasons for your choices.  Don’t go crazy on this!)
We have practiced this in class


I gave students notes last week that they had to copy.  I felt the note taking was important.  I said I would not just post the notes.  However, I will put some here because students MUST be able to explain WHY and HOW the devices are used in the poem.  What is the effect?


Alliteration, Assonance, consonance, repetition, parallelism
Poems are meant to be heard
Connect to the sense of hearing
Use sound to convey meaning
To convey mood
Create a musical quality
Draw attention to lines
Draw attention to images
Engage readers
Unify a work