Monday, March 14, 2011

Students MUST have a magazine Tuesday!!!!!!

Homework:
Completing the Sentence Unit 10
Bring a magazine Tuesday

Today:
We started our Media Literacy unit.  I discussed the following questions (below).  Then we watched ads from the first commercial break of Pretty Little Liars that I had recorded.  The ads showed the things we discussed in the questions.  There is too much to discuss, and I don't have time to write it all here.  The students who are in class will receive more because I discuss ideas in detail.

I gave students a packet that we will use for the two week unit.  It they lose it, they must buy a new one for a quarter.  This is their book for the next two weeks.

I will put a link to the assignment web page soon.  I have many things I am trying to get done, including reading all the sci-fi pieces from sections 5 and 6.  One paper took me 15 minutes just to read!

Notes:
What are ads? What is their purpose?
    Show
    Persuade you to buy the product.
    Show you the need for their product. (real or imagined)

Why does a magazine or TV channel have ads?
    To make money from the commercials. (sell time)

Why does a magazine or TV channel create great content (shows)?
    The more people that watch, the more ads you sell, more money charge.
    Not to entertain you!!!!

When you watch an hour-long TV show, about how much of the hour is ads?
    20 min
    NASCAR is 100% ads- show and ads!

    Pretty Little Liars episode I have= 28% ad   72% show

How do I know I am watching an ad?
    Cut off