Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Here are the notes we discussed in class.

Homework:
Choosing the Right Word Unit 10
Students should have an outline or a rough draft. (We will type in the lab tomorrow.)

Here is the transition handout I gave them today.

Start by trying to explain this to a partner:
        You talked with your parents about your future.
        What did you find out? Explain your findings to us.

Lame topic sentences
     My parents and I share the same goals for my future.
     My parents and I don’t share the same goals for my future.
     Even though we share many of the same goals, my parents and I have different ideas for my future.


A better topic sentence will contain a purpose for comparing.
     What did you learn from the comparison other than different or same?

     Example
    “My parents must hate me because their goals for my future are terrible!”


Outline
      You talked with your parents about your future.
      What did you find out? Explain your findings to us.

(Point by point)
TS: My parents and I share the same goals for my future.
        Me Family Parents
        Me Job Parents
        Me Education Parents
        Me House Parents
        Me Religion Parents
Conclusion: It is true that my parents and I share the same goals!

(Block)
TS: My parents and I share the same goals for my future.
      Me Family
      Me Job
      Me Education
      Me House
      Me Religion

      Parents Family
      Parents Job
      Parents Education
      Parents House
      Parents Religion
Conclusion: It is true that my parents and I share the same goals!