Monday, September 27, 2010

September 27, 2010

Homework:
Interview must be done by October 4.
Summary is due October 6.
Please see the assignment page for details.


Today:
We were in the computer lab today organizing questions.  Right now, each student should have a person he/she will interview and ten open ended questions.  Their job now is to conduct the interview practicing good listening, as we discussed last week.

I am trying to explain to the children that the interview is special.  I will show them more examples this week.  But basically, the recorded interview is a treasure, a gift for both the student and the person being interviewed.  This is not just some silly prompt from a book!

After the interview is recorded, the students are going to write a summary of 250-400 words.  This is the written piece that I will grade.  This piece will be a treasure as well, but it is also less personal than the recording, which we will not be able to listen to.  The recordings will be too long.

Even though the recordings are long, I am asking that the tech savvy students find a way to get me about 2 minutes of audio.  I would like to make recordings like those found on StoryCorps.  I would also like to post some of these snippets if possible.

I will be interviewing my wife in the next day or so.