Wednesday, January 16, 2008

January 16, 2008

Homework:
Sections 3, 6, and 7 should have another draft of their essay. (I said this yesterday, but no one had one. I don't think they caught what I was saying. That is OK. They know from today's lesson what we will be doing to their essays tomorrow.)

Sections 1 and 2 should bring in a perfect draft of their essays tomorrow. They should have perfect grammar and spelling. They should also have their citations and bibliography. I also asked them to have a submission form filled in so it can be checked for accuracy.

Today:
Sections 1 and 2 read over other students' essays making suggestions about submission. I had the students think about how the essay they were reading compared to the winning essay. I had them suggest to the writer whether the essay was up to the standard required to win (or just worthy of subitting for consideration). Regardless of the suggestion, students can submit. However, I would like only the best essays submitted. Some students' essays are not up to the standard. I don't want to waste the time of the DuPont Challenge people. All essays will be graded by me anyway.

Sections 3, 6, and 7 practiced proofreading techniques. Tomorrow I will let them read multiple papers offering suggestions for revision.