Tuesday, January 15, 2008

January 15, 2008

Homework:
Quiz Unit 7 tomorrow- Sections 3, 6, and 7 should make flashcards
Sections 3, 6, and 7 should be revising their essays

Today:
Sections 1 and 2 discussed citations for their essays. We read an essay and discussed how some of the information required citations that tell where the writer got the information from. I discussed the basic MLA citations and gave them a paper with examples. There is a web page that lists common examples. The paper was also a good example of style and voice. Looking at the way the essays will be scored, I see that 30% is judged on style, creativity, and voice. When we read the winning essay, I thought it did not have good voice or any style. This paper, in my opinion, did.

Sections 3, 6, and 7 read a sample essay and made flashcards. For students who were prepared with a rough draft, I had a quick, individual conference to offer them suggestions for revision. I asked the students to make those revisions for Wednesday. Another rough draft is due tomorrow.