Thursday, April 19, 2007

April 19, 2007

Homework:
I asked the students to define the audience of their magazines. They need to determine the age, gender, race, and spending ability of the readers. We discussed that we either see who we are or who we want to be in ads. To determine the audience students should look at the people in the ads, people in the pictures for articles, and examine the content of the articles. Who would these articles appeal to most?

Today:
Buzzword
Quiz on unit 11
Miss Bastnagle taught sections 6 and 7. She discussed what the students found most appealing in two different ads. Did they like the ad with people or the one without people. She is gathering data which she will compare to data taken later in the unit.

In sections 1,2, and 3, I continued my discussion about where I should spend my $100,000 to place an ad in a magazine for my Piglet bowling pin. We decided on a magazine called Bowling This Month. The audience is not 3.2 million like SI; however, its 12,000 readers will appreciate the product more. Plus, a 1 page ad in SI is $300,000, but a full page ad in BTM is only $1,275! I could buy plenty of ads at that price. We also found that ESPN magazine was $55,000 for a full page ad. We might buy one ad in ESPN since it will be seen by 1 million readers.