Friday, January 26, 2007

January 26, 2007

Homework: Parents, please complete the goal sheet I sent home.

The new assignment is listed at MrBoZ.com . I handed these sheets to the students yesterday.

I also updated the calendar. (I don't know if you are aware of it.)

Today we worked from a copy of these values. I showed them the definition of a value and a principle. In short, our behaviors are determined by/grow out of our values. What we value will determine how we act. Today, on a Friday afternoon, I pointed out that their values were not my values. They did not want to do work or pay attention. Clearly they did not value education the way I was at that moment. That is frustrating, but to be expected. However, I think they got the point.

I made the classes pick what five values they thought Americans should have. They were to discuss which one should be the top value. All of this discussion of values will show up in their essays. I have not decided exactly how, but it would be interesting to have the parents choose their top five values they hope their children possess.