Monday, January 22, 2007

January 22, 2006

Homework: Completing the Sentence Unit 8
Work on the essay (was due today but is not due Wednesday)

I pushed the due date of the essay off until Wednesday. I wanted to cover a few topics important to the writing of narrative essays. Today I discussed the idea of how the introduction points towards the conclusion. I used the analogy of a bow and arrow. The writer pulls back the bow and sets the reader up to look forward towards the distant target. When the reader has the basic idea of where he is being aimed, the writer stops the intro and releases. Now the reader goes through the story and hits the target. Ideally, the target should resemble the ideas presented in the intro, or at least be in the direction the intro pointed towards. It isn't the perfect analogy, but it works.

We also looked at a sample essay for their topic. I showed the sea and mountain technique being used. Tomorrow we will look at 13 different types of introductions.