Tuesday, January 16, 2007

January 16, 2007

Homework: Pictionaries 1-10 Unit 8
Begin new essay.

Here is the topic for the next essay: Life takes surprising turns which challenge human beings to face the unexpected. Last week we read an example of a narrative essay. If you read the essay, you will see that the task of building a blue bird box has new meaning when she looks back on it. The meaning which she states at the end of the essay is that "the things you build can have a purpose greater than you imagine." When we begin to wonder what the point is, she states it at the end. Today I had a few students tell me stories, but I had to ask why they told me about them. Sure, the stories were funny, but a narrative is more than just entertainment. The story reveals something about the writer and how he/she views life.

I thought I would have a grammar day Wednesday, but I think the students need some more time to get this essay rolling. Starting the week late is difficult. The essays are the most important thing I teach. I want them to understand how to arrive at a good topic. Then I want them to see what they are to develop.