Thursday, January 18, 2007

January 18, 2006

Sorry I did not blog yesterday.

Homework: Choosing the Right Word Unit 8
Work on the essay

Today: I have not been so ready to teach grammar this week when I see that I need to teach the format of the narrative essay. The three days this week have been spent teaching a variety of techniques for detailed narratives that have meaning. Today I had them practice a technique to add sensory details and thoughts.

They make three columns. The middle column contains the story in outline form: first, second, third, etc. Then, in the right column, I had them add sensory details in between the items in the middle. In other words, after they say the event, they should give sensory details to explain. Next, I had them add thoughts in the left column. This adds another layer. These thoughts come from two levels. The thoughts could be those they had during the even they are describing, or they could be the thoughts they are having now as they write from the mountain. The mountain is the perspective we look back on events from. Now that we are farther from the event, we are not in it; therefore, we can look back and reflect on how the event fits into our current lives.

Finally, I had them read the piece weaving back and forth from side to side. This way they can focus on event, sensory details, and thoughts as they tell their story. I hope they will use this technique in their next essay that is due Monday.