Thursday, January 25, 2007

January 25, 2007

(I could not blog yesterday. The site was out when I had time to do it.)

Homework: Yes, I sent home work for the parents.
Please fill out the sheet and return.
(The more detailed you can be the better.)

We are starting our third essay of this unit. I will have the page up soon on MrBoZ.com soon. In short, though, the essay will be a comparison between what the students see as their goal for their lives and what their parents see as the goal for their child's life. I am reading a parenting book with a study group, and one activity was to picture my child as an arrow that my wife and I will one day release at a target. The book asked us to define the target so we can make our parenting decisions based on that target. If we want her to have certain values, we have to do certain things as parents to help her attain those values. Or, we raise her so that she is heading in the right direction.

As I look at my children, I realize that they will not always agree with what I want as a parent. Therefore, I am asking the students to figure out what their goals are for themselves. With their goals in mind, they will be better able to make decisions. Since this is the first time I am doing this topic, I have some details to work out. But over the next few days the students will develop a clear picture of what they need to write.