Wednesday, September 14, 2011

September 14, 2011

** Note **
I updated two grades on the HAC

Homework:
Choosing the Right Word Unit 1 (Sections 3, 4, 5, HB)
Vocab Quiz (Section 6)
Good/Rough Draft of 200 Word Piece due Friday
400 words due Friday

Today:
Reviewed Class Participation grade expectations
Reviewed the synonyms in vocab
Started the Choosing the Right Word (finish for homework)
Discussed the grading of the 200 word piece
I also introduced the students to the responders that we will be use from time to time.


I discussed how the 200 word piece needs to focus on three main ideas: we, enjoy, and specifically.  The topic sentence give the direction for the piece.  Those three ideas need to be developed in the paper.  I actually rewrote my version.  It needs some work, but it is better than the first one, which was all over the place:



We enjoy the family outings, especially the memories we create.  My family is growing up.  When my wife and I had our first child, we thought those endless nights would last forever.  Yet, as the years went on, and we had another, we began to realize that each year brings, not only new challenges, but relief from the old as we grow as parents and our children mature.  When my children were young, older parents would tell us to enjoy our children when they are young because they are only your for a while.  My daughter is now 14, and my son is 10.  Facebook and friends are taking my daughter from me.  Xbox and soccer occupy my son.  Family outings now have greater importance.  While they used be used to entertain the children, we now see that we must schedule time to spend together.  We must remove ourselves from the routines of our lives.  We must not just go on vacation as if we need a rest. Just the opposite.  We must go on vacation to create the memories that we will look back on as we all get older.  We enjoy our family outings now because we understand why they are so important. 205

* The red words need some work.