Friday, September 18, 2009

September 18, 2009

Homework: None, unless they would like to work on the essay topic.
I think a "good-rough draft" will be due Wednesday.

Today:
We read two piece from Teen Ink:
Golden Summer
Puppies and Lost Innocence

We discussed sensory details, dialogue, and thoughts.  Then I explained what I was writing and some of my thoughts for what my paper should sound like.  Here is the rough introduction if you are interested:

I rolled into the parking lot on that first day of school in September with the anxieties of last year mingling with the uncertainty of this new year. I knew one thing for sure: I was still in love with my new car- a 2008 Mustang GT in Grabber Orange. As I sat in the leather bucket seats, the satellite radio still playing, I looked towards the front door of the school as if it were a world away. Like an astronaut preparing for a space walk, I would have to leave the comfort of my car and start the new year because in one hour I would be meeting the children I would spend the next 9 months teaching. In the cabin I once sought for refuge at the end of each day last June lingered a slight fear of the stress from last year.