Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 10, 2009

Homework:
Barney essays are due Friday.  I plan to have a Barney Day!  We are going to discuss the values that we can have as a class, listen to a few essays, and color little reminder Barneys while we watch another episode of the TV show.  The students may think I am crazy, but they will also know that I am serious.  I want a classroom that is as close to Barney as possible; I want my room to be positive and supportive.

Today:
I introduced the students to a magazine called Teen Ink.  We read the essay "From a Dance Team Girl" and discussed the purpose of a narrative.  In some classes we read a poem or two.  I want to use these magazines for examples of good writing.  They will also be available to read during writing time.  Students need to hear what good writing sounds like, so I read the essay to them under my stage lights.  They were surprised to know that they, too, would be under those lights soon enough!

We will start vocab next week.