Thursday, February 15, 2007

February 15, 2007

Happy Day After Valentine's Day!

There is no homework. We will be in the writing lab Friday. It is unfortunate that we missed our time in the lab yesterday. I don't get time that often. I will try to get them in the lab somehow next week so they have time to make the necessary revisions. I want to use the scores as a grade for an essay. This will be hard if they did not get enough time to finish. Oh well. We will do the best we can.

Today we looked at five different introductions for the "Maple Street" essay. We discussed what a proper introduction should have. We also covered what the essay should discuss. I look forward to reading some of their essays. I do think the topic is a little advanced for an essay, but the piece itself is great for discussion with seventh graders.

We also chose essays from the three essays they wrote. On their folder, they were to write down which essay they wanted me to score and which essay they think would be good to read to the class. I also asked them to tell me which essay they needed a copy of so they can practice at home. The reading of the essay should be perfect. That requires some preparation. We will begin reading the essays aloud next week.