Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sept. 24

I have been working hard to catch up the past two days. I should have a grade update by Thursday. Interims will be due soon.

Today we discussed the song "Only a Pawn in Their Game" by Bob Dylan. We read about Medgar Evers and what he contributed to the Civil Rights Movement. The song repeated the idea that the white supremacist who killed him will only be remembered as a pawn, but Medgar Evers was buried in Arlinton National Cemetary. The assassin was not the hero he might have thought he would be. You can see the lyrics here: http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/pawn.html

I handed out the next assignment. You can see it on the main page of mrboz.com.

Homework: finish Unit 2, hand in the collage.

The essay should focus on something that needs to be said, something you are convicted by. I hope to clarify that idea over the next few days... for myself and my students. I did emphasize that they are writing for themselves. They should not be writing what the class needs to hear. That might be tough. I usually write with someone in mind. As teachers of writing, we are always asking the students to keep the audience in mind as they write. It focuses the writing. But I really want to see what I can do when I am writing to please myself. I am not used to that. Because this is something I don't usually do, I am excited to try it.

Again, this Dylan unit is a personal exploration which the students will benefit from experiencing.