Monday, March 06, 2006

March 6, 2006

Sections 1 and 2 today:
I might need to explain today's lesson.  In my sections 1 and 2 we discussed MySpace.com.  Well, let's just say that I had an interesting way of starting the discussion!

I had them write a short note to a friend.  Then I had them write a short note back.  For the next round I told them that they must (if comfortable with it) add curse words. As you can imagine, they were... excited!  At least in section 1.  Section 2 was a little more reserved.  (They thought something was up.)

Section 2 was so proud of their cursing, and they could not wait to show their friends.  The trick was, I was collecting them instead!  But they weren't so nervous.  They asked for theirs to be read aloud.  I substituted words and went through a few.  They thought it was great.  This was not the response I was looking for.

Then I told them that I was reading their MySpace accounts.  I found a way to bypass the security.  I can read anything in the comments sections.  That means, whenever they make comments on friends' pages, their picture is right next to it.

It was disappointing to read these for so many reasons.  First, it changed the way I saw them.  The innocent girl in glass curses and talks about sex freely on the pages. If they curse that way in private, that is their business, but this is not private... and if I had not found anything, maybe I would trust them.  Supervision is needed!

My Kennedy is aware of today's lesson.  He gave his approval to discuss this ongoing problem.  I truly worry about the children because this stuff is posted on the Internet.  I feel it is my duty as their teacher to help them learn about, not only the dangers of posting sexual material, but they should think about the effect their words have on their image.

In short, it was quite a lesson today.