Friday, March 03, 2006

March 3, 2006

Today was mega-logo day.  Here are the results:
Section       Total          per student
1                1,788              59.6
2                800                 28.57
3                641                 35
6                727                 27.96
7                1,720              74.77

Today's lesson was on NASCAR sponsorship.  I gave them some background on how fans feel about their drivers.  I am one.  We also read some parts of articles that gave facts about the cost of racing.  I will post those links on the media literacy assignment page.

I told the students that sure, you see a lot of logos on these guys, but they are being paid to wear them.  You are not!

You are just advertising for them... for free.  I pointed out that the $20m the primary sponsor spends is money well spent.  Super Bowl ads cost $2.5m for 30 seconds.  I showed how much exposure the sponsor gets from racing.  

Homework:
The students must be researching and beginning to think about what they want to say in the paper.  I do not want a simple repeating of what I have taught.  It is too much anyway.  I want to see how what I have been teaching has impacted their lives.  I want to see the application of my information.