Thursday, March 02, 2006

February 28, 2006

We studied TV ads today.  In the media packet, there is a page that covers TV ad techniques.  They include things like sound effects and lighting.  So I had the students identify these techniques in TV ads.  

We looked at the following ads:
Captain Crunch: Hiking 
Lunchables: Pizza Treatza things
My Life girl's reality video game
Visa: Life Takes

I also tried to discuss the idea that ads try to teach us values THEY would like us to believe.  Therefore, if we think as they do, we will spend more more.  This benefits them, not us.  

When we studied the girl's game, I also showed them how you can look up reviews of the game on the Internet.  I wanted to show them that you can look before you leap.  But it also gives them a way to see the reality behind the fantasy. (The disturbing part of reviews is that companies will pay people to act as consumers and write good reviews.  It is called "under the radar marketing.")

Homework:  (I wrote this March 1)
Finish the first 20 ads chart in packet
Finish the powerful/powerless/sexy chart