Tuesday, February 14, 2006

February 14, 2006

In Class
We reviewed the calendar for the week and the homework.

We discussed words 1-20 for unit 12.

We discussed "Special Advertisement Sections" from magazines. I have seen a lot of them lately, and I wonder what that signals. I have noticed that ads are starting to look like the magazines they are placed in. They match the layout of the articles; therefore, I believe they must tell us that we are looking at an ad so that we aren't tricked. I tell students that the best ad for a product is the one that gets the message across and you don't even notice. I wonder if the advertiser has to pay extra to have their product placed in a better location?

Homework
Pictionaries 1-20 and synonyms unit 12
Finish the text/ad ratio sheet

Sections 1 and 2 must contact their magazine's advertising department and request a media kit. They can e-mail them or write, but I need to see a copy of the message sent. Getting a reply does not count for a grade. We have gotten back some neat things when we have done this in the past, but I also used to make it a formal writing assignment. This should be a formal e-mail with perfect grammar.