Wednesday, March 26, 2014

DCAS Incentives (silly picture at the bottom)

Over the past week, we have been practicing skills for the upcoming DCAS testing.  I have been focusing on highlighting words in the questions to guide their reading.  We have also been using the responders and reviewing the answers one by one.  This way I can see what questions students have trouble with, and we can discuss them right there.

I have also given students their winter test scores with their goals.  I have shown them that at least 65% of my students MUST meet their goals for me to be evaluated as effective.  Right now, the highest class only has 48% of the students making their goal!  I am taking this seriously.



Here are the incentives I am offering my students to do well on the DCAS:

1. If 65% of the class (one class at a time) makes their goal, they get an ice cream party.




2. If a student makes his/her goal, I will give 10 points extra credit and one point for every point above the goal (up to 50).  This will be a formative extra credit.

3. If 90% of a class (any one class) makes their goal, I will dye my beard something funky.  (It can grow back!)

This is not me, but I do have the same style.

The students have three days to complete the test.
These scores matter, no matter how anyone feels about them.
These scores determine my evaluation.
These scores are published, and our scores are compared to schools across Delaware.
We are Warriors, and we have H.B. pride!



The picture:
I scored 12/13 on a very hard DCAS test practice today.  I said if anyone tied or beat me, I would bow down to them.  Well, these three did just that!