Monday, December 30, 2013

Section 3 Algernon essays are scored.

My New Year's resolution!
Now that I have graded sections 2 and 3, I have an over-all observation about the pieces.  The lengths of the pieces were good; however, many of the pieces did not stick tightly to proving the thesis.  While they had the proper parts of the essay (most times), the essays seemed disjointed.  I made comments on the topic sentences that asked how the topic sentences tie into the thesis.  Where is the flow and focus?

Each paragraph had multiple supports, but did those supports expand upon the thesis of the paper and the topic sentence of the paragraph?

We are only halfway through the year.  I will continue to have students write about the literature to demonstrate their mastery of the Common Core Standards.


I scored it like the example below, which is straight from the outline and the discussions we had about organizing and supporting positions in essays.  If you would like me to e-mail your scores, I will.  When you return, I will print out your scores for you By the way, are you using any of your time to do Achieve?

Section 3, I will get to your essays soon.

Hook Summary Thesis 1,2,3 P1 TS Proven P2 TS Proven P3 TS Proven Conclusion Infer Format of text/POV
8 8 10 10 9 8.5 9 8 9 8 9 7 7 85