Thursday, December 19, 2013

Final drafts of the Algernon essays are due tomorrow

In sections 2 and 3, we spent time proofreading each others' papers.  We spent the week discussing introductions, topic sentences, and the requirements needed for an A paper: 
 
1. Mention inferrencing and point of view
2. Include some discussion about the format of the text.
3. You must have many supports for your position from the text.


(They do not have to be direct quotes, unless your inference comes from an understanding of a specific line.)

Today:
I thought I would provoke some discussion by putting the students into groups of three.  The group had to decide which paper was the best paper of the three.  These pictures below show the students who had the best essay in their group.

Note: 
I have students who are very concerned that they do not know exactly what to write to get an A on the essay.  In my mind, students in the honors classes should get either an A or a B, both of which are good scores.  A good paper will have a paper introduction, well organized details with transitions, good sentence structure, and finally proper grammar.  Is the paper focused? Does the writer use enough supports for his position?

Again, my goal for this year is to keep teaching and assigning writing.  Every student's writing will improve by the end of the year, but not every student will write A papers every time. I will always make examples available when I have finished grading.  I would even regrade a paper if a student wants to sit down and figure out how to improve it.