Tuesday, October 23, 2012

We have started our next literature study.

Homework:
Pages 52 + 53 in vocab.

Here is the basic idea of the next assignment.  We are going to read O. Henry's "The Ransom of Red Chief."  We could stop there and write another response to literature.  Instead, I would like to address one of the Common Core Standards- CC.8.R.L.7 Integration of Knowledge and Ideas: Analyze the extent to which a filmed or live production of a story or drama stays faithful to or departs from the text or script, evaluating the choices made by the director or actors.  

I am going to have the students study the written story first.  Then we are going to watch two versions of the story: the 1952 version on O. Henry's Full House DVD and the 1998 version staring Haley Joel Osment.  I want them to use the adaptations of the story as a way to critique the written story.



The assignment is a work in progress.  Today we watched the biography of O. Henry found on the Full House DVD. 

I do not know when it is due because I am not sure how long it will take me to prepare the students to write.  I will announce the due date in the future when I am convinced I have taught the students the skills they need to know to be successful.