Thursday, December 15, 2011

The debates have begun!

Winners will be updated daily!
The first day of debates is always rough.  I have had students who were not prepared at all who received a D.  Then, in my last class, I had two students who were so prepared that after 25 minutes I had to cut them off! 

There are so many skills involved in debating.  The students have to know what they will say, be prepared to rebut (which means they have to listen and write quickly), refer to their visuals, and be exciting as a speaker.  All of this is done in front of the class who will determine the winner... and loser. 

I am not cruel, but I am sure a few kids think I am today!  I lead the students through the first day.  Now we pick up the pace.  You could help your child by having him/her present to you and practice the rhythm of the presentation.