Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Can I Keep Him? - a lesson on the importance of knowing your opponent

(I moved the outline due date to Monday.  We could use a little more time.)

Today I taught the students how to think ahead in persuasion.  A good persuasive essay is not just a collection of all the reasons you have for your position.  That would make you appear as if you are not aware of all the positions of a topic.  I taught them that it is best to show why your reasons are right AND why the opponent's reasons are wrong.  


I had them brainstorm this chart for one of the animals:



What would your mom’s reasons be for NOT keeping the following found animals as pets?
How would you rebut your mother’s objections to keeping the animal?
What objections might she have against what you just said?

 1
Dog?





 2
Kitten?






 3
Baby deer?






 4
Bear cub?







 5
Tiger cub?







 6
Large python?







 7
Thawed dinosaur?







Then I had them fill in this script:

Mom,
         I found this animal on the way home, and I think we should keep it for the following reasons:

1.
2.
3.

Now, I know you are going to have a few objections:
1.
2.

But, I can convince you that your objections are wrong.
1.
2.



Then I weighed all the reasons presented and decided who won.  


Then we I read them this book.  The boy keeps trying to get better at anticipating what objections his mother will have.  His best question was, "He just moved down the street.  He doesn't bark, he has no fur, he has no hoofs, he smells like us, he doesn't eat much, he doesn't shed, his name is Ralph, and he says he'll be my friend.  Can I keep him?"  


That is a pretty good question.  He is trying to take care of every objection right off the bat.