Tuesday, May 16, 2006

May 16, 2006

This is what I sent home in the grade update today: 

These grades should provide a more accurate picture of how the students are performing this marking period.  There are more homework grades, another quiz grade, and more classwork assignments.  The poetry reading was frustrating.  Many students did not take the time to prepare.  Some did not even write an introduction.  I finally just made all the students go.  Some actually did well on the reading part.  Imagine how well they could have done had they prepared!

There are plenty of grades left in the marking period.  There is a link to the requirements for the Malcolm X movie we are watching.  You will find that on my classroom web page.  The students are filling out a question sheet as part of a guided viewing.  Throughout the movie I am pointing out how Malcolm X changes and what causes him to change.  Sure, many of his early statements were controversial, but they deserve to be heard and critiqued based on our current society. 

I will be writing my persuasive speech on how I believe Malcolm X should be studied and how I think this unit will have an impact on the students.  I have already been impacted by the movie.  I find it inspirational.  I will post my essay when I am done.

If you have questions about the grades, please feel free to e-mail me.