Thursday, May 11, 2006

May 11, 2006

All of the Harlem Renaissance poetry readings are done.  I now have to convert each recording to an mp3 so that I can include them on the end of the year disc.  That disc will include all the recordings we have done throughout the year.  I will put them onto a DVD for posterity; you are welcome to buy one.  I assume you have not heard any of the recordings.  

The homework is to finish up unit 14.  I also asked them to bring in song lyrics of a writer who is searching for himself or has found his place/purpose in this world.  It will be a small class grade.

If your child says we are watching Malcolm X in school, please note that I am taking care to only show parts of the movie that I think explain how Malcolm X found his place in the world and how he searched for Truth. (I am also not showing any curse words.)  He was as great a man as a human can be, meaning, he was with fault like all of us.  There will be some discussions about his philosophies, and his religion was his guide, but the unit is not about the Nation of Islam or religion.  It is about Malcolm X and his stuggle for his black identity.

I want the students to see why he should be remembered.  I want them to know that there was another activist who had other plans for equality in America.  I want them to see a man struggle with himself to figure out who he is.

Ultimately, I want students to emulate the writing and speaking style and stand before the class with conviction.  I want them to search out a cause worthy of our attention and their efforts to present it to us.