Wednesday, May 10, 2006

May 10, 2006

Today was a weird day. I only saw three classes: sections 7,1, and 2. They were longer classes.

Homework varies from class to class because of the weird days. The schedule is on my classroom web page.

We are starting to study Malcolm X. When things calm down, I will make a web page explaining the final project. As it stands now (and that will change) I am looking for a presentation that is individual, incorporates visuals and music, and has some written aspect that expresses how they see their place/purpose in this world. We have been studying blacks finding their identity. In the movie on Malcolm X, we will see that he went through many changes in how he saw himself and the world.

More will come later.

For Friday, I asked the students to find lyrics to a song where the writer has found or is exploring his/her place in the world. One example is the Indigo Girls, "Closer to Fine." I look forward to seeing what they come up with. I don't want to see rappers who are just bragging. I hope to see some truth in the lyrics.