Thursday, January 29, 2015

Some 3rd Marking periods are on HAC

Section 1:
The argument essays are graded.  I will post some samples when I have time.  The grade is a summative because there were two practice essays and lots of teaching.  They were to demonstrate they understand what an argument paper should look like.  Thy will be expected to write an argument essay on the test in the spring.

Sections 2 and 3:
Students were supposed to have written two practice essays so I could give them feedback.  Not all students handed in the completed essay, so I gave them partial credit.

The argument papers are NOT graded, but I have read through most of them.  Based on what I saw, most students will earn around a 75%.  When I grade them, I will adjust the grade higher or lower.

Writing an argument essay is a difficult skill for an 8th grader.  I want the grades to reflect their mastery.