Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The short story grades are in HAC, and I handed out grade slips today.

Homework:
All students should be reading their books for their book reviews.
Section 1 should have pictionaries and Choosing the Right Word done for tomorrow.

I spent from 8 A.M. until 4 P.M. Tuesday grading the short stories.  I entered what I had into HAC.

Now, there were some missing stories.  Some were missing for legitimate reasons.  Others have not written their stories at all.  I spoke with each student and he/she should know what he/she needs to do to get the stories in.

The stories were graded in two ways. 
The first was to have all of the requirements.  Whether the student has some of the requirements or all can be a matter of opinion.  For those students who feel that I graded them too low, I asked them to show me why it should be higher.  I hope students take advantage of this.

The second way the story was scored was on the qualities of a short story and how well I thought they were demonstrated. In other words, how good was the story?  Using the rubric from the book, I ranked the stories as Exceeds, Meets, Approaching, or Below.  The scores are 100, 90, 80, and 70 accordingly.  Again, if a student feels that I scored the piece too low, I encourage him/her to persuade me differently.

I am trying to keep the students on track for their book reviews, so I had them enter a rough draft of their hook and summary today.