Thursday, November 13, 2014

KBAR is due as a SUMMATIVE grade tomorrow

Students should be sure to do the KBAR paper exactly as I discussed in class.

  • The summaries should use the exact wording listed at the top.  
  • The times should be filled in correctly. 
  • The back side should be explained with multiple examples.  
  • The paper should be signed.  
  • (There is one more KBAR session scheduled for tomorrow.)

(Section 1 should have done the Synonyms and Antonyms for unit 4)

KBAR is important for many reasons.
First, students should be reading regularly.  The KBAR sheets also help the students practice skills they need to interact with literature: summarizing, quoting, predicting, questioning, evaluating, and reacting.

The book review is the organized exposition of these interactions with their books.  I also tell the students that they should be using our academic vocabulary in their reviews.  The more they use the vocabulary, the better they will do when they encounter it on standardized tests.

As a literature teacher, I do not believe that we read just to be tested.  However, I must teach what I am told to teach, but that does not mean I can't make literature meaningful.  I hope students leave my class appreciating reading because they can now understand the literature on a deeper level.

Did you really read this whole entry?  Thanks.  :)