Sunday, November 09, 2014

I have entered some grades for the second marking period.

I entered the KBAR as formative.  I wanted to see that students were doing the sheets as required.  This week I will collect the KBAR and grade them as a summative.  It is important that students are reading every day, not only for reading push-ups, but because they have a book review due November 25.

Section 1 has been working on Vocabulary Workshop.  I have the students enter the homework into responders so I can see how they are progressing towards learning the words.  Then we take a quiz.  This week we will do the review 1-3 unit and start unit 4.

Sections 2 and 3 are doing Achieve.  I am not sure students are taking Achieve as seriously as they could.  Regardless, they are getting two grades.  One is a version of the score on the activity, which is reading comprehension.  The other grade is grammar.  When they submit the response to the poll question, I want it perfect.  I am asking for 60+ words with no errors.  They should be using Word so it can suggest corrections.  I took some time this weekend to grade the responses by hand on paper.  I will give them to the students tomorrow while they are doing Achieve.

ALL STUDENTS should be reading their books!  By now they should have written the hook and the summary and be working on writer's style. The book review is due November 25th.

WHEN STUDENTS ARE FINISHED WITH THE BOOK REVIEW, they should e-mail it to me or use the JotForm link on my homepage.