Monday, November 19, 2012

I have added Achieve scores to the HAC as an FYI

I am new to using Achieve this year.  I am not an expert, but I am getting better. 

I have been looking over the scores from their exercises. Many students are doing well on the activity questions, but not all are.  I am going to be putting the scores from the activities into a HAC category called "Performance."  Scores in that category will show up in the HAC, but they do NOT affect the grade at all.  This way students, parents, and I can assess if a student is struggling. 

The score you see is the second chance score.  The students get two chances to answer questions about the article they just read.  This gives them the opportunity to learn from their mistakes.  Students should be getting 75% or above.

If students are not scoring well, they should be doing something different.  They should be summarizing after each paragraph.  There are tools in the program to help them do this.

I admit that I need to get better at using Achieve.  First of all, I need time.  Secondly, I need some more training.  Either way, I will continue to get better so I can help students do better with their informative text analysis.

-MrBoZ