Friday, February 17, 2012

Grades are updated on HAC for all but section 4

Grading essays.
I have been out the last two day.  I am still sick.  (Just letting you know if you were wondering about blog posts.)

I adjusted the grades for the The Stage is Yours essay.  Originally, there were 30 points for some basic requirements and 70 points for pure grammar perfection (grade level appropriate).  As I have now finished scoring four classes, I realized that not having all 30 points was the norm.  In fact, the average student was missing a few points that I thought would be gifts.  So, I made the grades no lower than 24 points (80%) for that section.  I also doubled the 70 points because I always want the classwork grade to reflect effort and performance.  I realized that I needed some more performance based points.

If this all sounds confusing, just know that I am always trying to make my grades fair.  That's all.

I will have section 4's essays graded by the beginning of next week. 
 5 minutes x 130 essays= 10.8 hours... if I never took a break.  Generally, I need to carve out 13 hours to grade essays.  I love reading the papers, though.  Really, I do!  It's finding the time that is hard.