Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Can personality win over content? Yes!

Homework: Synonyms unit 6

Today:
In my HB class, we had a great example of how personality can win over content.  Whereas I scored the non-squisher as the winner, the class bought into the squisher's stories and exaggerations.  He said that ants could take over the world, break into our house, listen to our ipods, and make us their pets.  He also had a very dramatic retelling of a supposed event where he was attacked as he innocently tripped over a fire ant hill.  He dabbed his eyes with a tissue as he told us of the pain.  The non-squisher should have been all over these, but she played it straight.  That was too bad for her, I guess.  I will be discussing these artificial means of persuasion more when we begin the advertising unit.  This debate should give us something to relate to.

In my section 3 class, we had the opposite.  The squisher used an overly dramatic style, but he also had good content.  I gave him the win because of his content, but the class must not have seen his content. They only saw his antics, and they did not reward him for it.  But as I think about it a little more, maybe they were right.  As far as a debate goes, he was out of line, and maybe I, too, should have taken his presentation into account more.  It was a good lesson nonetheless.