Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Vocab 3 quiz tomorrow.



Homework:
Sections 3, 6, and HB should make flashcards for unit 3.
All classes have a quiz on unit 3 Wednesday, tomorrow.

Today:
We reviewed the answers for the rest of the unit in the book.
I discussed the chart below.
I gave the students some time to do their own chart.
In some classes, we started the flashcards.

Explanation of the chart
A good narrative is not a long list of everything that happened.  It is not, "... and then... and then ... and then."  A good narrative moves the story forward in stages, but spends time on the details. What were people saying around you?  Can you describe the scene so we can experience it?  What thoughts did you have while the moment was happening? 

I had the students pick out the seven or so basic events in their narrative.  Then they were to add lots of details.  This is the example we did in class.  From it, I made up a story off the top of my head.  I take each row and read across before I go down.  This way, the story is not a collection of and then's.


Skeleton
5 senses
(see, hear, feel, smell, taste)
Dialogue
Thoughts
The door to the bus opened.
People pushing
See bus driver
Shouting windows
Tired
“I can’t wait to get home.”
“Good morning.”
“This is one crazy bus!”
I walked up the steps, turned, and began to walk down the isle.
Students in rows
Pushing through knees
Smell feet
Children screaming
nervous
“I wonder what my teacher will be like.”
“Turn the radio on!”
“Who am I going to sit with.”
I spotted a seat.
Writing on it
Holes
“Please don’t sit next to me!”
“Why me?”
I sat down
Could not sit still
Cold
“I am going to flame on you.”
“What the heck is he talking about?”