Monday, October 24, 2011

The Good Rough Draft is Due Tomorrow!

Homework:
Pictionaries Unit 4
Good Rough Draft of the narrative essay

Today:
We reviewed the terms for the nouns unit.
We took and reviewed the nouns quiz.
We listened to the unit 4 vocabulary words.


What is a "Good Rough Draft"?  
I explain it to the students like this: hand in a piece tomorrow that you will feel comfortable getting graded on.  In other words, this draft is the best you can do.  It can be a little rough if it is hand written, but if it is typed, it should be perfect.  Now, what improvements need to be made for Friday?

This week
Over the next few days, we will be looking at introductions.  I will be asking the students to add a better introduction to their paper.

We will discuss dialogue and how to punctuate it.  We will discuss dialogue in more depth later in the year, but I will teach the basic idea.

I will also discuss how the beginning leads to the end. 

Finally, I want to give the students practice reading their pieces because I will be recording them on Friday and over the next week.  The oral reading should add to the piece, not take away from it. 

Here is the rubric for the narrative essay:



I will post the rubric for the oral reading in a day or two.  However, the reading grade is broken down like this:
D- the student just got up and read it, and the reading was lame
C- the student just got up and read it, and the reading was OK
B- it was clear that the student practiced and tried to use his voice to create interest
A- Well practiced with a loud, clear voice.  The reading was a joy to listen to.

Like I said, I will make a clear rubric soon.