Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I am making a small change to gradebook.

Homework:
Synonyms Unit 3

Today:
We reviewed the unit 3 words.
I discussed a model piece for the narrative.
I gave the students the requirements for the narrative piece.


FYI-
I will be redistributing a few grades in the coming days.  It should not really affect things too much. I will move the words assignments into the classwork grade and change the percentages:
  • Classwork: 60%
  • Homework: 15%
  • Quizzes: 15%
  • Participation: 10%

Explanation:
This year, I have been trying very hard to structure my writing class differently.  I told myself that there must be a better way to teach writing.  Maybe there is, but I cannot get it to work in a 50 minute class.  The ideal class would have lots of writing time and look like a workshop.  What happens, though, is we must have a warm-up.  Then I review vocab.  Then I teach a small lesson.  Before I know it, the class is almost over. 

I will be going back to what I know works.  Sorry for any confusion.  I wanted to try something new, but why stress over something that is just not going to work?  Maybe I will try again if we ever go to block scheduling.