Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April 29, 2009

Homework:
3,6,7- Flashcards
All classes have a vocab quiz Thursday
I would like all students to have a draft of their essay for Friday for some peer editing.

Today:
I discussed the format of the essay some more.
Then I gave the classes work time.

Here is something I wrote quickly as an example.  I showed it to one class today.  It probably has mistakes.

Explain why it is a proveb as the introduction
The wisdom of a culture is contained in its proverbs.  These concise statements of truth are the combined experience of generations for the benefit of the next.  The proverb “You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink” is a proverb.  Through the use of parallel structure and imagery, this easy to remember statement passes on an important idea: you can do a lot for people, but that doesn’t always mean they will do it.

Explain the proverb literally
Picture this.  You know that a horse needs a drink.  It has to be thirsty.  Without a drink, that horse could become dehydrated, and you don’t need that as you start your journey.  You need that horse to be in top shape.  Yet, when you bring it to a water source, it refuses to drink.  What do you do?  You can’t reason with a horse?  You can’t force its head in the water.  It is too strong for that.  Do you whip it?  Why? Because it won’t do something you know is good for it?  You are left with the realization that the horse has a mind of its own.  You have lead the horse to water, but you could not make it drink.

Explain the larger meaning of the proverb
Being a proverb, these words do not just apply to horses.  The proverb’s wisdom tells us that we need to know that despite our best intentions, we are powerless to make others do something they do not want to.  As a teacher, I encounter this every day.  The lessons I prepare are for the good of the students, yet, for all the effort I put into getting them to pay attention and learn, I am not responsible for getting the information into their heads.  They must want to learn.  They must put in effort to drink from the water that I am placing before them.

Write an anecdote where you learned about the truth of the proverb
One time really jumps out at me when I think about this lesson….

Conclusion…