Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 21, 2009

Homework:
11-20 Pictionaries
Synonyms
Proverbs Homework Sheet

Today:
Daily Drill
Reviewed 11-20 Vocab words
Discussed some proverbs:
Look before you leap.
Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Don’t count your chickens before they’ve hatched.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

We also discussed how, "Proverbs often make use of grammatical and rhetorical devices that help make them memorable, including alliteration, rhyme, parallel structure, repetition of key words or phrases, and strong imagery."  We began working on some more proverbs from this worksheet.






I told the kids to start thinking about a proverb that means something to them.  I told them the basic story of my proverb, "Pride comes before a fall."  I told them the time in my life when I learned this and why it is important for them to know.  I will read them my piece from last year later this week.  I think the students should have picked a proverb by the end of this week or next Monday.