Tuesday, March 04, 2008

March 4, 2008

Homework: None

Today:
Daily Spelling Practice
We discussed audience and how you must clearly picture and define your audience of the letter.
We read a letter to the Commissioner of Major League Baseball written by a student 3 years ago. We analyzed how he was aware of the responsibilities and interests of his audience. We looked at how he politely expressed his opinion that the schedule for the playoff games should be changed. We also looked at the reply letter. We saw that the young man was wrong about his assertions, but the MLB Commissioner was very polite in his response to him. I encouraged the students to use the three column chart we have been talking about. I thought it would be due today, but most students are not ready to make it.

I have written my letter. Because of its content, I had Dr. Carmack read it. I took out a few references to my personal beliefs so it will be appropriate for a public school setting. Here is the final version.