Monday, November 09, 2015

We are writing our performance tasks this week.

This is a very difficult assignment for 8th-grade students. 
I have been scaffolding the assignment to guide the students.  I am trying to give students guidance, not just give them the answers.

Here is the introduction I am using for my own piece:
Throughout this unit, we have seen how immigrants come to our country seeking a new life.  In each of these stories, we saw that they did, in fact, get a new life, but it was not always the life they thought they would get.  For the immigrants who come to America, they face challenges and have to make adjustments.


Then I will go on to discuss these topics:
  1. One challenge immigrants had to adjust to was making money. 
  • In APTHH,
  • In TLHC,
  • In MFC,

  2. Another common challenge immigrants had to adjust to was understanding the language and the limitations.
  • MFC. 
  • In TLHC

 3. Another challenge immigrants had to adjust to was having two cultures: the culture of their home country and the American culture. 
  • In MFC,
  • The contrast to this would be in BA

  4. Another challenge immigrants had to confront was the fear that America was only a temporary home. 
  • In BA,
  • Likewise, in TLHC
  • In TLHC,
  • The situation in BA was a little different.

Where do I go from here?
I have typed up a piece that is 1000 words long.  I have by no means included every possible thing that could be cited from these stories! My goal is to explain that, from what I read, I have learned that immigrants face challenges and need to make adjustments. 

I will include enough to prove the following:
  • I have read the stories.
  • I know some challenges immigrants face.
  • I know immigrants need to make adjustments.
  • I can organize what I want to say into logical topics. For example, immigrants face financial difficulties.
  • I can not only list examples, I can explain the examples well enough so that the reader knows what I am talking about.

All of this should be done using correct grammar.

Students should share their Google Docs with mrbozhb@gmail.com so I can help them with their papers.