Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Independent Novel Study: Sections 2 and 3

After break, sections 2 and 3 will be doing an independent novel study.  In my classroom, I have been giving students some guidance for choosing a book, but they have not seen the list they will be choosing from.  Please read the letter below.

Here is the list.

Below is the book choice permission slip that will need to be signed in order for a student to read the book. 

If a small group of students would like to choose the same book, that would be fine.  In fact, I would encourage it. 

Parents and students, feel free to e-mail if you have questions about a book. 




Book Choice for Independent Novel Study: Sections 2 and 3

Dear Parents,
            As you know, I have been pushing the honors classes this whole year, and they have been meeting every challenge head-on.  For the novel unit, I would like to challenge the students to choose a classic book.  I know most of the students in the class read book that are high interest like The Hunger Games, Divergent, Twilight, Percy Jackson, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and other more modern novels.  While those books are entertaining, they are also modern.  I would like students to pick a book that they might not have thought to read for pleasure, a classic that has been studied/read for decades.

            The list I have provided starts with The College Board: 101 Great Books Recommended for College-bound Readers. (College Board is the SAT and AP test company.) These are the classics.  However, not all of these books are approved by our district.  And not all of those books are accessible to 8th grade students.  The lists that follow the College Board list are the district-approved books. You will see that some of the College Board books are on the district list.

            I would like students to choose a book from the list I have provided. I am requiring a parental signature regardless of which list the book is on.  However, just because the book is on the district-approved list, I cannot be the one to determine what you find appropriate in your household.  I have not read every book on this list.

            Finally, the district has “core” and “extended” books.  The “core” books are reserved, which means I cannot teach that book in my grade because it will be covered in a later grade.  However, since a student is choosing this book independently, I feel it would be fine to choose a “core” book. I have bolded books that I am familiar with. 

            I am asking that students buy a paperback copy of the book.  I want to teach them how to mark-up a book as they read.  It is a very important skill that most students do not do because they have not been taught to or do not own the book.  (If a student cannot afford a book, one will be provided for him/her.)


I give (my child) __________________________ permission to read (book title)   _______________________________ by (author) ________________________.  If the book is not on the district-approved book list, I understand that even though the book is a “classic,” some of the content might be more appropriate for a high school student.  (If you are unsure, read the reviews of the book on Amazon or Barnes and Noble.)

Parent Signature  _______________________________________   Date ___________