Wednesday, April 02, 2014

I assessed the timed writing pieces from last week (sections 2 and 3)

I gave every student a 100 and made it a formative grade.  I thought that with the clear focus of the standard, the students would finds supports and organize the pieces correctly. 
 
CC.8.R.L.2 Key Ideas and Details: Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including its relationship to the characters, setting, and plot; provide an objective summary of the text.


That is not to say that the pieces were bad, but I did not think they demonstrated mastery of the standard.  Some were focused on a topic, but they did not discuss how the setting, plot, and characters developed the theme.  Some focused too much on summary.  Some were light on details.

I will get a good sample typed up soon so I can show the students what I was looking for.  Maybe we will revisit this with another piece before the end of the year. 

I short, I am am pleased that the students were able to write an organized piece in just 30 minutes.  However, many of the pieces did not meet the requirements of the Common Core standard.