Saturday, February 08, 2014

I graded the group poem anaylsis pieces. Well done!

The major summative grade for the poetry unit is the essay on the poem I assigned to the groups.  The essays should have demonstrated the students' ability to critically analyze a poem.  That is exactly what most of the essays did! 

I am so please with the results of the essays!  Although I did not grade any essays lower than an A, I did indicate on the essay what grade I thought the piece should recieve.  Those grades are reflected in the grades on HAC:


100 A+
95 A
93 A-/B+
92 B
90 C


This is the first time I have taught poetry analysis in such depth to middle school students.  Welcome to the Common Core!  I feel like I did a good job scaffolding the skills so the students could be successful.  The students worked hard, and their essays reflected their effort.  (For as much as the students complain about writing essays, they sure are getting good at it!  That will really help them in high school and beyond.)

I am very proud of how well the students did in this unit!  Their presentations in class are also showing how well they are understanding how to analyze poetry.

I am looking forward to hearing the students read their poems aloud to the class this week.